Saturday, August 4, 2012

Variegation 1

I have certain rules for plants that I buy.  1) Leaves must be no smaller than the size of my hand - preferably, they should be bigger than my head.  2)  If a plant is freaky - e komo mai!  3)  Smell is fabulous - I like them sweet and rancid.  But all these rules go out the window in the face of variegation.  I am pretty much unable to resist any and all kinds of variegated foliage.

Since I've been redoing one side garden, I've found that I've been amassing quite a number of variegated leafed plants.  I've posted some pictures of some below with my best internet guesses as to what they are.  Some of these plants were purchased from some guy who didn't know what it was but was willing to grab a shovel and dig some out of his back yard others were purchased from Ko'olau Farmers which notoriously labels things just as "ginger".  If anyone knows what these plants really are, please let me know.

Zingiber zerumbet "Darcyi"

Rhapis excelsa variegated

Zingiber mioga

Alpinia zerumbet varigata

Alipinia zerumbet varigata with a Rhapis excelsa puppy to the left

Variegated Cordyline

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis variegata

I have more variegation to post next week.  Happy Sunday gardening to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment