Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thievery

Sucks.  And thieves suck more.

Several weeks ago, there were some attempted break-ins in my very small neighborhood.  A little scary as one of the targeted homes is inhabited by an elderly lady who would have been at home during the time.

Luckily, both attempts failed, but they've left a sense of vulnerability in their wake.  And hatred.  Let's not forget the negativity.  Today's attempt was especially unnerving to me since not only was it really early, but the neighbors were all up and about walking their dogs, chatting with each other, and I was thinning out my broms on the street.  I didn't notice a thing, and it's the house one over from mine!  

Brent Green who was featured in what is my favorite gardening issue of Sunset magazine (the article featuring Mr. Green was amazingly inspiring) noted that instead of putting bars on windows, homeowners should put pots of plants in front of potential entry points.  I wish I could find you the specific image in the magazine (it's not online) - it was kind of hilarious.  A would be intruder would have had to move - no kidding - something like 20 huge pots.  He also points out that plants with thorns help the situation, too.

Really?  OK, check out these BAMFs:

No one escapes this life unscathed

I'm trying to make a point here . . .

Unfortunately, I'd probably impale myself on these if I were to put it up against my vulnerable point of entry windows.  And because I'm me, and I did compete in Speech (hey, I practiced what I endorse), I always feel compelled to dramatize any situation.  If only I could sing and/or dance, I'd make all events so much more memorable than they need to be.


But when I say: THANK YOU KANEOHE POLICE DEPARTMENT!, I am not over drama queening it.  Their coming so fast to check things out really goes a long way to helping make things emotionally better for me.  So does my rearranging a lot of heavy pots with hideously vicious thorned broms in them in fron of my vulnerable points of entry - but hey, let's be realistic here - my plants don't pack heat.  Yet.  




No comments:

Post a Comment